Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Garden

This year, we are trying to grow things in the back yard.

I decided to make small beds, because a lot of the information I found said to start small. Maybe next year, if things go well, we will add more. I am excited, because my family always had a large vegetable garden when I was growing up. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes, still warm from the afternoon sun. The taste of peas right out of the pod. . .

I have planted basil. . .

four types of tomatoes. . .

and some sweet red peppers.

My mom puts marigolds in the garden to keep away certain pests, so I am doing the same.


Last night there was a threat of frost, so I covered the plants. There was no frost this morning, but better to be safe than sorry!
I still have peas, beans, lettuce, cucumbers, and some herbs to plant. Since I was late getting the peas into the ground, I am germinating the seeds in the refrigerator, and will plant them outside sometime this week. The rest will most likely go in on Memorial Day weekend!
How does your garden grow?

3 comments:

  1. I am excited for you. You are doing all of the right things so far. If you ever have gardening questions I'll be happy to help if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew herbs last year, but may try tomatos - I love them. :) Good luck with your gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your garden! It looks perfect to me!

    My kids are so excited about ours, it's been worth it for work ethic and entertainment alone.

    ReplyDelete

It would be great to hear your thoughts!