Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Dishonest Truth


I keep having this conversation (maybe closer to an argument) with myself about being useful, responsible, and practical and blah, blah, blah... versus being creative, and sparking ideas, and trying new things.  I argue that I don't have time to paint or create or try to find a space to work.  I need to clean, and make dinner, and grocery shop and make sure I am not ignoring the girls, and be available when they need help, and oh yeah, I have a full time job outside the home...


The truth is, I want to make this work.  I want to be able to work on something creative, and something that speaks to me - that makes me feel like I am being real, and honest with myself.   I'm trying to be practical and responsible, which isn't a bad thing, but shutting down the creative side to accommodate the practical is dishonest. (wait...what?!)

I have been given the spark to notice details, to find beauty there, to try to use that to create. As much as my friends tell me, I haven't truly believed that this spark is a gift from my Creator.
It was given to me to tend to, to take care of, to nurture. Some days, I bury it, some days I make excuses.  Some days I let those feelings of inadequacy simmer, and pretty soon they boil over into Full. Out. Fear.

I freely admit I am a work in progress.  I don't claim expertise in any area, but I enjoy trying and learning new things.  There are so many ideas to work on, and I keep a running list... well on any given day I might have a few different running lists around.  I am challenging myself to put the lid on fear, and as much as it might sputter and spit, to put that energy to good use and create!

(I think everyone has something creative inside.  I think it can be revealed in many different ways.)

What is your favorite way to create?  (baking, cooking, gardening, painting, etc...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!