Thursday, February 6, 2014

Thinking about Christmas . . .in February

I have been thinking about changing the ornaments I paint.  I would like to see how feasible it is for me to make paper structures instead of painting on glass bulbs.

I remember in elementary school making doll furniture out of paper, and toy soldiers out of cardboard.  There is something about the planning, designing and construction that make this an interesting pursuit.  And yes, it is more labor intensive, but well worth the time spent.  (I love working with paper!)  One of my sisters told me a long time ago that I should be an architect, but at the time, the math piece seemed a little too much.  I guess this is just the realization of that suggestion.

I did make some paper ornaments of the preschool that my girls attended.  It was a fun venture, and people did seem to like them.  They reminded me of the vintage houses that are making a comeback of late. I had cut the windows out and put vellum over, so if they wanted to place it over/near a bulb on the tree, it would look like there were lights on inside the building.

**(I DO NOT recommend leaving a light inside of them for extended periods:  paper + heat + too much time = not good!)**

Benefits:
  1. Working with paper!
  2. A little less fragile
  3. Still can add the details and color of different houses/buildings with paint
  4. Easier to find paper than find glass ornaments in July (and more cost effective)
  Negative-but-not-so-negatives
  1.   More labor intensive (less cost effective)
  2.   Longer process for individual orders (more lead time needed)
  3.   Expectations (of those who have ordered in the past   
This is not to say I would eliminate the glass ornaments, because hey, if people prefer them. . . I was just thinking about focusing on the paper ornaments as the main type and moving away from the glass.

Another option I would like to introduce is flat ovals made of clay, with the pet/home/building painted on.  These would be similar in style to the glass ornaments, but they would be flat, and again, less fragile, easier to ship if needed and the clay is easier to find in the off-season, so could be more cost effective. 

What might I be missing in my thought process?  Any other suggestions or ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!