Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Paper Love Tutorial: Book Page Flowers

Here is a quick tutorial on making more paper flowers.  You could use any paper you like for this:  scrapbook paper, newspaper, notebook paper, construction paper. . .

I would say try different types to see what you like best!  Make a bouquet of mixed paper flowers, just have fun!

For this project, I used book pages.  I have a couple of old books that I got specifically for different paper projects, so don't use your favorite tome or a first edition of Hemingway!

Our supply list for this:

  • Book pages (or other paper of your choice)
  • Scissors (I have scissors specifically for paper to help keep them sharp)
  • Glue (I used hot glue, as it dries quickly, but white craft glue works too.)
  • And maybe a little digital dexterity (digital = fingers, not computer)
  • Spirit of adventure!  (Overkill? Maybe. But hey, this is supposed to be fun!)
Disclaimer:  I am NOT a perfectionist, nor have I ever claimed to be one (that I can remember).  This project might be dotted with -ishes and maybes, and other relative  approximations.  I just don't have the patience to be exact.  But if you have any questions about my method, please ask

To begin, cut your paper into square-ish shapes. Again, these do not need to be perfect.  You do want them to be close to the same size if you want your finished blooms to be close to the same size.

Then round the corners a bit - as seen in the photo below:
Next, cut a spiral line from the outside to the center of the paper.  You can simply cut, or lightly mark then cut, a spiral with a pencil for a guideline.  It will look something like this:


Are you still with me?

Starting from the outside of the spiral, roll the paper into a coil (this is the digital dexterity part I was telling you about).  It doesn't have to be tight, but you want it to hold some of its coil when you are done.  I'm sorry I don't have a picture of this part.  It is difficult to roll and hold a camera at the same time - at least for me! :)

Thicker paper might take a bit more persuasion. . .

Now, you have the option of gluing each roll as you finish, or rolling them all, then gluing.  There is no right or wrong here! 

To glue, simply place some glue on the center "base" of the coil.  Then arrange the layers as tight or loosely as you want your bloom to be, pressing them into the glue.  If you use craft glue, you may need to hold it there for a little while, until the glue dries.  If you use hot glue, be careful - it is hot - but will dry/cool quickly so you won't have to hold it in place as long.

**Sometimes keeping a glass of cold water nearby can be helpful for soothing fingers that get too close to the hot glue. . .

Here are some examples of what the flowers might look like when you get them rolled and glued:


Now, you can decide how you would like to use your newly formed blooms!  You can make a wreath, a frame, a garland. . .

Any other suggestions?  Leave a comment and let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!