Tuesday, May 20, 2014

What I have been up to. . .

I just wanted to share some of the things I have been working on lately.  My projects don't necessarily have a schedule or order to them.  Sometimes an idea hits and I need to get it started, then it might get interrupted by another idea or project, and eventually I get back to my original. . .

Anyway, here are some of the things I have been working on and thoughts on some other ideas I have waiting in the wings!

I participated as a vendor for a Girls' Nite Out event in April, and they asked each of us to contribute something to the auction. The "Seasons" dictionary page watercolor is what I submitted.  The other items were things I included in my booth for the evening.

Here is a detail.

  
This past week I spent some time adding to my older daughter's prom dress.  She found one she liked, but wanted the mesh top added.  And when we couldn't find a necklace to go along with her outfit, we decided to add some beads to the neckline.

I made the pattern using another dress that had a top similar to what she wanted.


Then worked on figuring out how to work with this sheer fabric without the stitches showing too much.
And the completed addition.  I also made flower crown from scratch, as she couldn't find a headband or clip that she liked.  It was a simple construction of covered wire and silk flowers from the floral section at the fabric store.
 We also decided to make the boutonniere for her date using some real carnations and a sprig of the artificial flowers we used in her headpiece, then wrapped the stems in ribbon.  I have a talented friend who made the bouquets and boutonnieres for my wedding, so I had seen this done, and it wasn't quite so intimidating!

 Once prom was done, I got back to work on this painting for my sister.

 


 

 
 Here it is up to this point.  Still work to do, but little by little it is getting there!

Then there are the ideas that percolate in my head.  I try to make note of what they are so I don't lose them.  This is the beginning of the thought process for a series of paintings based on the fields behind the house where I grew up.  I have stories to go with these too. . .  More on this another time. . .
This is a sketch of a painting that has been bouncing around in my head for years!  A friend and I took our kids to Liberty Park, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty a few years ago.  I took some photos, and I liked the composition and lines of one of the photos of the train station.  I told myself I would do a painting of that  someday, and while that "someday" hasn't quite gotten here, I at least have it sketched on a canvas!
 These are just some of the things I have been working on, and hope to be working on soon!

Oh, and I have an idea for a pom-pom rug for my younger daughter's room too!  She picked out the yarn at the fabric store while we were getting the sheer fabric and beads for the prom dress.  So that will be in the mix somewhere after the horse painting. . .
What projects do you have going, or coming?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!