Monday, June 16, 2014

Putting the Pieces Together. . .Finding Spiritual Whitespace



http://www.faithbarista.com/finding-spiritual-whitespace
This post is part of the  “Finding Spiritual Whitespace Blog Tour” which I am a part of, along with a group of soulful, journeying kindreds. To learn more and join us, CLICK HERE!  

Earlier this year a friend asked if I wanted a table she had in her garage.  It was an old, heavy table, but the most notable thing was that it was in pieces.  I like older pieces and sometimes stop and wonder about their history.  Was this a family table, or just used occasionally?  Did the craftsman that built it have a specific person in mind when they applied the carving tools to the wood?  What was the intention of the design and designer?

We went into the garage and she gathered the pieces. . . a carved leg here, another leaf there and soon the pile of deconstructed materials was in my trunk.  I knew I wasn't going to get to it right away, so I put the pieces out on the back porch of our apartment for the time being.

This past weekend I decided it was time to put the puzzle together.

I laid out the pieces placing them this way and that - until I found their place of belonging.  Then I ran to the hardware store for some fasteners.  Armed with wood glue and screws, I began to connect the parts.  There were some holes that needed to be filled with wood filler, and then needed to cure for a day or two, to ensure the screws would hold.

So what does this have to do with a book review?

I tend to seek connections in my world.  Things that seem to follow patterns seem to stand out to me.  This table was created, once strong, had a defined purpose.  Then it seemed to come apart - for unknown (to me) reasons it seemed to lose it's definition, it's ability to hold together, to serve.  It stayed that way for a while.  Then with some help, trying to find where the pieces fit together, looking for the missing parts, then adding them in again, this table is taking shape for a new life.  Still to be used as it was designed, and still with the dents, scratches, marks that it picked up along the way.  All of these things add to the character, the story of this table.  It will be useful, helpful and bring others together.

In her new book, Finding Spiritual Whitespace, Bonnie Gray walks us through her experience of deconstruction, through a diagnosis of PTSD from childhood trauma, and as she uncovers the events through prayer and counseling, she is beginning to find her way to whitespace for rest.  

Just as the table was once strong and "put-together,"  Bonnie tells how she was a successful overachiever and was excited about the writing process for a book when she began experiencing debilitating panic attacks.

Some parts of the table are worn or cracked, or maybe there are holes that need reinforcing with wood filler and glue.  This book reminds us that life can wear on us and our legs can get wobbly from pressures and even past traumas.  We are not able to hold up the things we once did, or perform the tasks we once performed.  There are times when those places where we are worn thin need to be uncovered, dealt with, then filled new.  Then there is a time of waiting for the glue and filler to set, to be accepted, to make us stronger.

Whitespace gives us a place to pause, to rebuild, to rest from the activities and goals, even if they are admirable.  Our heavenly Father mends us through His word, with His love and makes us strong and ready to be used for the plan He designed.

In this book, Bonnie walks us through her emotional story with thought provoking questions, leading us to seek out our own need for rest.

The table will be completed soon, and will be a place for sitting, reading, drawing and visiting with friends.  This table will be a whitespace. . .

Bonnie Gray is the writer behind Faith Barista.com who wrote a book about her inspiring, heart-breaking journey to find rest, which garnered Publisher’s Weekly starred review. I’m taking the journey to find rest through this guidebook and invite you to read it too.  You can get a copy HERE.


8 comments:

  1. what a beautiful story. you just encouraged my heart with a new perspective on how God handcrafts us back together on the journey of rest. Thank you, Holly. And it makes my soul SOAR with joy knowing this table will be enjoyed with whitespace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie - for sharing your story, your heart with us!

      Delete
  2. This post and your way of thinking are beautiful! I so relate in the seeking connections in processes...this illustrated so well SPiritual Whitespace. Lovely post and review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  3. " We are not able to hold up the things we once did, or perform the tasks we once performed." - TRUTH and it makes me feel like a failure. Yet, how could I possibly do all I once did before I became a mother to two children?! I love your heart for the broken table - for the care and determination you had to reclaim it. Isn't that just like our Heavenly Father!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Princess :) there are so many times where I seem to fall short of what I feel I should be doing. But I'm so thankful He is there to hold us up!

      Delete
  4. I definitely see God using Bonnie's book as the current part of His rebuilding project - me! Great analogy; your table is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true for each of us Elaine! This rebuilding (I think) keeps happening until we see Him face to face. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

It would be great to hear your thoughts!