Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Making Simple Journals


 
Making books by hand is something that has intrigued me for quite some time.  I think some of it has to do with my problem with love of paper, but I also found a book a few years ago that has examples of journals that have been created, as well as instructions for different types of bindings.  I hope to someday make an actual book, experimenting with different binding techniques.   I even have a Pinterest board for different techniques I find and would like to try.  (I also have one for Art Journaling)

I recently was asked to bring a craft project along for a Senior High girls' retreat.  I thought about some watercolors for painting, but would have to purchase more supplies, and not knowing exactly what our space layout would be, I wasn't sure about tables to work on, water for painting and cleaning brushes and things like that.

I then considered something with paper. . . ah, paper! Did I mention I have a problem with love of paper?  I have quite the stash variety of paper, but what could we do with it?  Mixed media?  Maybe, but sometimes people can be intimidated with so much freedom of creative choice.  Somehow (I don't remember exactly how I decided) I ended up with making journals.  I still needed to pick up some supplies, but the dollar store had much of what I needed.  There were other things I picked up from the office supply store.

Here is what we started with:

  • lightweight cardboard gift boxes
  • glue sticks
  • scissors
  • binder rings
  • paper in a variety of colors, weights, sizes
  • envelopes - business and manila
  • hole punches
  • stickers
  • paper tape in a variety of colors/styles
I prepped some of the pages before we went, to make it simpler and less time consuming for some of the assembling.  I cut some paper to size, punched holes in the pages, cut the gift boxes for the covers, and covered them with some white gesso.  I also made some small file folders out of colored card stock - just for something different and fun!

I didn't get any pictures from the girls putting them together, but here are some glances at the one I worked on.

There are many different envelope templates and free printables at your fingertips.  Simply do a search online, or on Pinterest, and you will see how many are out there! 

Here are just a few places, to get you started:
Creativity Prompt
Sweetly Scrapped
Simply Crafts
Paper Crafts Magazine

But please be aware that some sites allow the printables "for personal use only." 



I would love to hear if you have put together any journals - and how you did it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!