Friday, October 17, 2014

The Story of My Art - "Michigan Field"


I grew up in Michigan in the middle of open fields, dusty roads and dairy farms.  The seasons were marked by the weather, but also by the activity of the farmers and their equipment that rumbled down the road on any given day. 

Spring meant plows and fresh tilled earth, smelling musty and yet somehow new.  New beginnings, new seed, new growth, new possibilities.

Summer brought hay balers and wagons traveling back and forth with one load after another of fresh cut hay.  That sweet smell in the heat of the day making its dusty way to the barn loft to be stacked and stored for use over the winter months.

Fall brought combines, corn pickers and the harvest of wheat and corn.  Once the wheat was gathered, the stalks were raked together and baled for animal bedding.  The corn was collected and ground into feed.

Winter didn't bring much work to the fields, but there was still plenty to do for the local farmers.  Animals to be fed, barns to be cleaned and equipment to keep running were just a few of the daily tasks.

This particular painting is of a field near where I grew up.  I found it interesting because it was a fairly flat field except for one large mound near the back.  I always wondered how that mound came to be, or how the rest of the field came to be flat!  Thoughts of burial grounds, or dinosaur fossils meandered through my mind when I was younger, and while I don't have an answer to the geological formation, the place still holds a fondness for me as it reminds me of home.
 
"Michigan Field"
Acrylic on canvas
8" x 10"
Original - $35 with frame
Print - $10

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!