Friday, November 7, 2014

The Story of My Art - "Through a Glass Dimly"

This painting was an experiment in abstraction.  I wanted to paint a landscape of sorts, but keep it very loose.  Using a palette knife, I began by painting greens, browns, whites and blues in horizontal bands across the canvas.   I used acrylic paint mixed with matte gel medium to add body and dimension.

As I worked, I remembered, that for quite some time I wanted to play with the idea of the view looking out a window during a heavy rain.  I originally was thinking watercolors, but this was an opportunity to experiment!
I started pulling the paint down from the top, the way rain runs down the outside of a window, blurring the landscape yet adding interest. Making the details on the other side difficult to make out, yet giving hints of what lies beyond the pane.

It brought to mind the verse:  1 Corinthians 13:12  "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."  Some versions say "through a glass darkly," and between the two is where the title came to be.
"Through a Glass Dimly"
11" x 14"
Original
Acrylic with gel medium on canvas
unframed
$45

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!