Thursday, May 28, 2015

How to Make an Apron

This is a post I should have finished a while ago...oops!  I am still working on my tutorial skills, but here are the basic instructions I have for making the aprons.  I didn't take pictures while I was actually constructing them (I was trying to get them finished in time for the paint night), but it is a fairly simple process. 

I have been working on making some aprons for a couple of painting events that I am teaching.

I did some research on buying aprons, and though there are some beautiful ones out there, my budget wouldn't allow purchasing a large number of them. So, I figured I would make my own!

I looked through my fabric stash to see what larger pieces I had that I could use. Then I looked at several different patterns and adapted them to the length and width I thought would work. So here is what I came up with.


I drew the shape I wanted, measuring the length from the neckline to where I wanted the bottom hem to be - 28 inches. The width of the neckline - 7 inches, then, based on some of the patterns I saw, I made the width of the bottom portion - 28 inches.
I made a paper pattern showing half of the shape, and then placed the pattern on the fold of the fabric, and cut it out, adding about 1/2 inch all around for the seam allowance (you could certainly add the seam allowance to the pattern to make it easier on yourself!)

Through some simple measurements I made the neck band 24 inches long and three inches wide, and the apron ties 36 inches long and two inches wide. I did not make pattern pieces for these, as they were simply straight cuts.


After preheating my iron, I pressed the neckband and ties as follows: I folded the ties in half (length-wise) and pressed, then folded each side to the center crease then pressed. Then folded in half and pressed again. Using a straight stitch, I machine stitched the length of the tie, and folded one end over and stitched across.


For the neckband I pressed in half length-wise and then folded and pressed the edges in about 1/4 inch. Then pressing in half again, I machine stitched using a 3/8 inch allowance.


Beginning with the top "corners", I pressed a small amount (1/4 inch) of the edge, then turned another 1/4 inch and pinned it, and repeated on the opposite side. Then I stitched the seams in place. I did two turns of the edge so it would have a nice finished look.


Then I pressed the neckline, and turned and pinned it, also placing the neck band, then sewing into place. (The first apron I made, I twisted the band, but it still works...)


Next are the two edges, which I turned, pressed and turned again, putting the ties in place on either side, pinning and sewing both edges.


The final step is turning, pinning and sewing the bottom edge.


This apron doesn't have a pocket, but where it is for a large group, painting event, I don't think that will be an issue.

For more ideas, check out my Apron Pinterest board - because I don't think these will be the only ones I make! Have you made an apron? What is your favorite pattern or style?



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great to hear your thoughts!